Tuesday, April 20, 2010

We've arrived! Wunderbar!

Can I write a side note in the beginning of my blog? Well, I guess it’s my blog, so I’ll do what I want! I’m only a fraction of the neurotic person that Nico described in his entry. Thank you to all of you who still love me :-p
So as most of you reading this know, Nico and I arrived in Berlin on Thursday. As most of you also know, the biggest air-travel catastrophe, ironically with a death-toll of zero, occurred shortly after in the form of this crazy-volcano ash cloud thing By the way, did anyone else think WTF when they saw Eyjafjallajökull as Yahoo’s most popular search item?? That aside, after reading articles like “Mission impossible: Escape from Europe,” I’m beginning to realize how lucky we are to have made it here on time. We arrived around noon (local time) on Thursday and all of Europe’s major airports including Tegel, which is the airport that we landed in Berlin, closed by 6 p m on the same day. People have packed the trains to the brim in an effort to try to catch a flight in Southern Europe or to get to their destination city 20 hours away or further. Cars are being rented out for more than 1,000 Euro for a one way trip to another city. All in all, I’m thankful to be here on solid ground.
Nick described the apartment that we’re in really well. To me, it reminds me of the final scene in Saving Private Ryan, where the two guys station themselves in the apartment that eventually gets blown to smithereens. When we walk out the front door, I feel like it would be all too fitting to hear a Tiger Tank making its way down the street or to see an Ozzie popping it’s ugly head around the corner. But, look at me being stereotypical.
So far Berlin is a trip. We’ve been trying to learn bits and pieces of German since lonely planet lied to us about the number of people who would speak English here. Last night, we watched a few videos on YouTube made by an eccentric German girl in the US. I think I’ve got 1-10, hello, good-bye etc. but I’m still trying to perfect that throaty gagging sound in the back of my throat.
More on sight-seeing later.

3 comments:

  1. You know how I wish to be there instead of you, jajaja.You lucky!Send me many pictures and tell me about people there. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neurotic is so much more fun!!! I didn't think you sounded neurotic at all Sam so you can just imagine what traveling/living with me would be like :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neurotic is an understatement. I know no one else who loves to travel as much as you with any of these same problems. That being said, I commend you for sucking it the "bleep" up and doing it. And of course, we all love you and miss you just the same.

    Maybe you need to watch Airplane once or twice.

    "There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane? "

    Awww...Sammy. Either way, I'm jealous you're there and I'm not. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete